Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Ordered Spontaneity

I know, ordered spontaneity, doesn't exactly make sense.

Its been a crazy week. Getting back to work and every day life after spending most of the month of March traveling has been a little stressful. I realized something about myself however, my coping mechanism for stress is best described as ordered spontaneity.


In many ways I am a creature of habit. I have a certain parking spot at work, a certain seat at the conference room table for meetings... My co-worker while walking out last night commented on the fact I always park in the same spot and asked what would happen if he parked there? And I will be honest, it would totally stress me out. I know that seems ridiculous but I have a routine for work. I'm a total control freak. I like things ordered and according to plan.


I'm routine at work but when it comes to my personal life, all bets are off. Well, I do still tend to be a little bit of a control freak. I'm used to being the one doing the planning, it comes for being an event planner in my past life. However, I like the spontaneity of a good last minute plan, something that was so unexpected and unplanned being the highlight of the week.


I love a good last minute trip. Stressful week? Why not head to Chicago for the weekend, or Savannah, or Dallas? Which by the way Dallas is the trip of choice this weekend. (thankfully I have flight benefits so these last minute trips don't cost me my next 3 paychecks)

I love coming home and deciding that getting together with friends for Indian dinner is so much better than what I was planning to cook or Friday night Karaoke bowling is the best way I can end my week.

I like the balance I have created of order in my work and spontaneity at home. I think too much one way or another would be a disaster. My co-workers would murder me and my friends would disown me. My family, they are unfortunately stuck with me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment