Pages

Monday, May 9, 2011

Sunshine in the City

Farmers' Market Vegetables

It's been so long! When I started this blog my intention was to blog on a regular basis and here I find myself weeks from my last blog. I was fooled a few nice days in Pittsburgh and I was lured by the sun and warmth. I find I can't seem to get anything done on the first nice days of the year. I eventually settle in but the first nice days, I totally develop A.D.D.

I love Spring in the city. The trees flowering, the river trail packed with people out enjoying the weather. But typical Pittsburgh, a few nice days of sun and you are reminded you still live in the North, and the sun disappears and the rain and the cold hit and all I want to do is hibernate in the house.

I have to admit though, I love the city when it's like this, the sunny part that is. I love being close to the trail along the river and walking with Murph, walking to the grocery store, just enjoying being out of the house. The walking part is awesome as well (especially with gas prices at $4/gallon) but the real sign of the nice weather being here (to hopefully stay) is the return of the Farmer's Market. I LOVE the Farmer's Market and the Farmer's Market on the Southside is FANTASTIC! And it's back tomorrow.

I love being able to support local farmers. When I was growing up, one of my best friend's family had a farm. I remember going over and running in the fields, helping to pick crops, and playing in the greenhouses. I have a lot of respect for how hard it is to farm. And let's not forget the chance to get FRESH vegetables. I can not stand canned vegetables and can moderately tolerate frozen vegetables.

I am definitely planning on visiting the Farmer's Market a lot this summer.

Here's to the start of sunshine and nicer days, and I promise more blogging even with the sun calling my name.


No comments:

Post a Comment